Jeffrey Dressler Named to Diplomatic Courier's Top 99 Under 33
Jeffrey Dressler, ISW Senior Research Analyst and Afghanistan/Pakistan Team Lead, was named to this year's Top 99 Under 33 list by Diplomatic Courier. Dressler is counted among this year's Shapers; individuals who change the public discourse on an aspect of foreign policy or raise awareness on a critical issue.
He has published numerous reports, including: The Haqqani Network: A Strategic Threat (March 2012), Counterinsurgency in Helmand: Progress and Remaining Challenges (January 2011), and The Haqqani Network: From Pakistan to Afghanistan (October 2010). Dressler was invited to Afghanistan in July 2010 to join a team conducting research for General David Petraeus following his assumption of command and has returned several times since. Dressler is regularly quoted in The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal and has appeared on Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC.
From Diplomatic Courier-
The profiles of the “99 Under 33” offer insight into the creativity, determination, and passion of the young people who are already tackling the world's critical global challenges. By design, this list is broad and diverse, encompassing attorneys, financiers, technologists, journalists, bankers, activists, and scientists—as well as diplomats, soldiers, and other government officials. This reflects our belief that foreign policy in the 21st century is made by leaders from all sectors. In particular, you will notice how many of them launched a social venture, an NGO, a company, a government campaign, or a bold idea. This is because—more than anything else—we believe the foreign policy leader of the future is an entrepreneur.
This year the selection committee introduced a new framework and methodology based on seven leadership archetypes that reflects our refined concept of what it will take to tackle critical global challenges in the future. While most of the versatile “99’ers” we selected exhibit several of these qualities, we mapped each person to one of these categories.
- A Catalyst is from a field not typically associated with foreign policy who has had an impact on international affairs.
- A Convener brings people together in creative ways to address a pressing international issue or enhance the foreign policy community.
- An Influencer mobilizes people in the foreign policy community with bold new ideas.
- An Innovator designs a new solution to a critical global challenge.
- A Practitioner changes foreign policy from the inside through extraordinary professionalism and skill.
- A Risk-taker takes a chance and sees it pay off.
- A Shaper changes the public discourse on an aspect of foreign policy or raises awareness on a critical issue.
“99 Under 33” began as feature story, but already it is a vibrant global community of limitless potential. Each of the following 99 young leaders was selected by their peers in recognition of their impact on their community today and the promise of their potential as a world leader. It’s our pleasure to share their stories with you.